The UK Opens Its Doors to UT Graduates
The University of Texas at Austin is one of just 37 leading universities from around the world — and one of just six public universities in the U.S. — whose recent graduates are now eligible to apply for High Potential Individual (HPI) visas to the United Kingdom. This acknowledgement of UT Austin’s position as a global elite university is a significant benefit to recent Longhorn alumni, who can use the HPI visa to gain a foothold and start a global career.
HPI visas allow individuals to enter the U.K. who meet any of the following criteria:
- Confirmed employment at the time of visa application
- Self-employment at the time of arrival in the U.K.
- Intention to seek employment when they arrive in the U.K.
HPI visas are valid for at least two years, and can be converted into other long-term employment visas. HPI visas can also extend to cover partners and children of the eligible candidate.
HPI visa applicants must:
- Have graduated from an eligible university (such as UT Austin) within the last five years
- Possess a valid passport or other travel documents stating identity and nationality
- Speak at a “B1” level of English to facilitate communication with native speakers
- Demonstrate that they have enough personal savings to support themselves in the U.K. (about $1,585 is required).
Application costs are about $1,150, and applicants applying from outside the U.K. typically receive confirmation within 3 weeks.
More information is available on the U.K. Government’s High Potential Individual Visa webpage. For more information about the Center for Global Business and its efforts to connect students with international opportunity, visit our website at www.mccombs.utexas.edu/CGB.