The UK Opens Its Doors to UT Graduates
The University of Texas at Austin is one of just 37 leading universities from around the world — and one of just six public universities in the U.S. — whose recent graduates are now eligible to apply for High Potential Individual (HPI) visas to the United Kingdom. This acknowledgement of UT Austin’s position as a global elite university is a significant benefit to recent Longhorn alumni, who can use the HPI visa to gain a foothold and start a global career.
HPI visas allow individuals to enter the U.K. who meet any of the following criteria:
- Confirmed employment at the time of visa application
- Self-employment at the time of arrival in the U.K.
- Intention to seek employment when they arrive in the U.K.
HPI visas are valid for at least two years, and can be converted into other long-term employment visas. HPI visas can also extend to cover partners and children of the eligible candidate.
HPI visa applicants must:
- Have graduated from an eligible university (such as UT Austin) within the last five years
- Possess a valid passport or other travel documents stating identity and nationality
- Speak at a “B1” level of English to facilitate communication with native speakers
- Demonstrate that they have enough personal savings to support themselves in the U.K. (about $1,585 is required).
Application costs are about $1,150, and applicants applying from outside the U.K. typically receive confirmation within 3 weeks.